Check my quote please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The job:

Minor repairs (remove nails and screws, fill holes) and vinyl matt emulsion the walls of a bedroom, size 18ft x 12ft in Victorian house (fairly high ceiling)

Emulsion the ceiling and the Victorian coving.

The ceiling has a small repair job (brown splodge from a leak in the bathroom above) the coving has a couple of chunks missing which he says he can repair using layers of filler.

He said 2 days work, £250 to include filler, but I have to buy all the paint.

He is an older guy, maybe 60, properly apprenticed and long-served in the job.

Does that sound fair?

LHL
Hastings, Sussex

Sponsored Links
Anyone worth his salt and running a business really needs at least £100 a day. Depending where in the country you are this might not be a bad price.

Don't mess about to save £20, sounds good to me. If you've got him from advertising and he's over 50 and been at it for years, odds are you'll get a sound job. IMO.

...or do it yourself? Not that hard if you've got a weekend to throw at it.

Sponsored Links
The job:

Minor repairs (remove nails and screws, fill holes) and vinyl matt emulsion the walls of a bedroom, size 18ft x 12ft in Victorian house (fairly high ceiling)

Emulsion the ceiling and the Victorian coving.

The ceiling has a small repair job (brown splodge from a leak in the bathroom above) the coving has a couple of chunks missing which he says he can repair using layers of filler.

He said 2 days work, £250 to include filler, but I have to buy all the paint.

He is an older guy, maybe 60, properly apprenticed and long-served in the job.

Does that sound fair?

LHL
Hastings, Sussex

Doesn't sound excessive to me.

in my experience, an older guy who knows what he wants to do the job right is so much better than a younger cheaper (sometimes quicker/rushed) alternative. old skool rules :cool: . reccomendations are the best way to choose trades that dont disapoint though

That is a Very Fair price for E. Sussex . Trust me I`m an old plumber /maintenance man - been in the county all my life ,Father and G/father both decorators . ;)

in my experience, an older guy who knows what he wants to do the job right is so much better than a younger cheaper (sometimes quicker/rushed) alternative. old skool rules :cool: . reccomendations are the best way to choose trades that dont disapoint though

I got another quote, from two right rough-looking cheeky chappies, but it was £300. However, they have 9.9 on Checkatrade.... however, I s60tsy's words rang in my ears.... I employed the older guy and he's been here for two days. He's great. Good choice. Job almost finished, very happy with him, great guy, we got on well and he didn't take offence to my painting the woodwork myself after he goes home and before he arrives.

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

I'm getting loads of work done in the house so I shall be all over the forum picking brains wherever I can!

LHL

...or do it yourself? Not that hard if you've got a weekend to throw at it.

Alvo ... I just wanted to say, 15 yrs ago I decorated this entire house all by myself. There are 9 rooms over 3 floors and every skirting, door and window had been stripped. I hate bare wood so it was primer, undercoat and two top coats on 16 windows (mostly box sashes) 15 room doors, 8 cupboard doors, 3 ceiling hatches, and all the associated frames and architraves; a mile of skirting, mantelpieces, shelving, four rooms have dado and matchboarding. I was up to my elbows in paint for 5 months, working on it full time 7 days a week. I employed a decorator to do all the ceilings and also the stair well, as it's extremely high above the floor on the top storey.

However, I am now unable to climb ladders. So I do the skirtings, doors, halfway up the sash windows, etc but need to employ help for ceilings and also walls because although I can roller I cannot cut in at ceiling height because of the ladder thing.

LHL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back