Checking Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the addition of the Part P tax it should be near impossible for the average DIYer to work stupidly upon said electrics!! :LOL:

With that in mind how would one go about getting the electrics checked and signed off as adhering to current standards I.E electrics before the tax or so called hidden alterations after the tax.

Is their some sort of compliance test? How much would you expect to pay?

Sponsored Links
Great so they push Part P on us across the broad but their is no uniform checks across the industry to test existing installations

Peter,

BS7671:2008 ("The IEE Regs") Part 6, details which inspection and tests are done, how often, in what sequence and what the results must comply with. This is complemented by Guidance Note 3, "Inspection & Testing," which is part of the suite of manuals that go with "The IEE Regs". People that carry out this testing must pass an examination to prove competence in doing so.
This should make the tests "uniform."

Sponsored Links
Do you want information on the getting your house electric inspected (I'm willing to help you with info there)

or do you you just want to bellyache about government legislation?
(In that case, go away as we all have to live within this regime and nobody here can help you.)

Of course you could try here http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/
I wish you luck in your quest.

As the T Man said above, a PIR is the industry norm of checking existing electrical installations. If you need an electrical installation certificate then this would have been issued by the person carrying out the works at the time. This was pre Part P and remains so now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back