New flat test certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend is converting a house into 2 flats. All electrical work has been done by a qualified electrician on weekends. He has now found out the electrician's boss won't sign off the work because he hasn't done the job and would be potentially liable for tax if he did sign it off. The guy who did the job can sign off existing wiring jobs but not new builds apparently. What are the options? Can he pay someone to come in and test the installation and sign it off and if so how much is it likely to cost?

Sponsored Links
all you can have now from an electrician is a Periodic Inspection. Your local authority can probably bail you out at a cost, though they may ask for a periodic inspection anyway.

Cost varies, I have heard of a man doing a pir for £60. I wouldn't.

The guy who did the job can sign off existing wiring jobs but not new builds apparently.

How does that work then?
Surely you're either a competent person with an NIC card or not?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the first guy himself is not a member of a 'part P scheme', but that the company he works for in the week is. All this guff about tax and new builds is not just an excuse for this.Quite right that the boss won't allow him to use the company to sign off, I wouldn't!

As said, a PIR is the only option available, but do spend a bit more than £60!

A PIR may or may not help you.

Since building control are almost certainly already involved in your project i'd suggest you talk to them sooner rather than later about this and find out what would be acceptable to them in this regard.

Thanks for the replies, it seems the electrician can do PIR's but is not Part P registered as able to self cert in his own name. Building control seems the only way to go. Hopefully they won't want any walls an ceilings taken down to inspect.

The way I see it is the electrician who did the installation should have issued an Electrical Installation Certificate EIC in compliance with BS7671. Assuming this is the case then a PIR is unnecessary.

Tell LABC what has happened present them with the EIC and see what they say.

Varies for area. While it is true that initially in East Yorkshire they accepted for extensions etc an eic from someone suitably qualified they no longer sign the whole extension off without the electrics certified through a certifying body. I have been on both ends of this one. Initially when you went in to b.c. in north yorkshire to talk about this they just rolled their eyes at you I expect now they are towing the line.

Many of us have gone to great expense through no fault of our own. Not wanting to be heavy on industry sparks doing guvvy jobs but basically they are robbing us blind. It is only right that L.A.'s should suport the new system. We have had to at great cost.

Like I say I have aproached this from both compliant and non compliant side. I decided I would have to ultimately comply with the new paradigm. In the end you as a consumer OP have to decide whether to support the black market or the legal traders.

Many who work for a boss earn more money than I do trying to run my own business. A man I could only afford to pay £8 / hr left for an agency paying £13.50. That is more than I can pay myself. He still spends his evenings and weekends doing guvvy jobs for his old contacts (my customers). The poor ones are those who are complying with the rules.

Where he is working now they don't have anyone to inspect and test after they finish and have asked me to go and do it.

They are somehow able to market themselves so well they can affford to pay the workers a decent wage and don't seem to even pay lip service to the enormous expenses us one man bands who want to do things right are facing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back