Checking facts before buying wooden floor. Advice welcome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Ive been trawling around the forum and getting lots of essential info thanks to woodyoulike and his/her fellow tradesmen.

I think I am almost there but I just wanted to check..

I am laying engineered oak throughout downstairs. The current floor is 1930's floorboards and more a recent concrete extension. Both are at the same level with no step in the threshold between the two...I would like to keep it that way :)

The floorboards are sound and level as is the concrete. I was hoping to just use underlays as per woodyoulikes underlays at : http://www.mamut.net/controls/shop/shops/12/3/default.asp?wwwalias=woodyoulike&gid=32&subgid=34 and float the boards on that.

I was going to use a 3mm underlay with dpm on the concrete and one of the non dpm 3mm underlays on the floorboards thus keeping the same level.

Is that correct please?

If I do find things are not as I expect when I get ALL the carpet up and I do need to put down some plywood on the floor boards of say 6mm (6mm ok?) then what do we suggest to bring the concrete floor up level with it? ... or do I just live with the small step across the threshold?

On a similar subject I am planning to use thresholds as per woodyoulikes advice across doorways across dissimilar subfloors (concrete/floorboard) but do I need to across doorways when its the same floor, maybe even the same floor board!?

I was hoping for a continuous stretch of floor from hall to kitchen etc but Id rather have flat floors so let me know whats best to do please. Room sizes are not massive typically 4mx5m.

And Im assuming that floating floor is fine? Im stripping all the skirting anyway.

Cheers mi' dears!

Scott.

Sponsored Links
you your on the correct wave length there. I would split the floor in every room and use the dpm underlay for the concrete and non dpm for the floor boards.

Get the carpets up first to inspect floorboards before you start worring about floor heights.

Thanks Matty.

Had the carpets up last night. All seems well in the that respect....

Now the only question is where to get a good deal on some decent quality kit!

Rgds, Scott

Thanks Matty.

Had the carpets up last night. All seems well in the that respect....

Now the only question is where to get a good deal on some decent quality kit!

Rgds, Scott

There are a lot of good deals out there at the mo'

Sponsored Links
you put a link in your first post, why dont you purchase of them! All good quality flooring, there is no such thing as cheap and good! Its either cheap and rubbish or pay a bit more and get some quality.

Hi Matty.

I'll have a look around. If woodyoulike (or similar) have what I'm after and the price is reasonable then l'm always happy to pay a small margin for good advice and good service.

Cheers again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back