Chibboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I am currently midway through a 2 story extension and I have a concern regarding the chipboard floor which was laid a couple of weeks ago and wanted some advice before asking the builder.

The floor was laid and the following day was our first sign of heavy rain for some weeks, it didn’t soak through and I’ve had a look online and it’s moisture resistant, it seemed to dry out ok.

2 weeks later we are still awaiting roof tiles and tonight again heavy rain with puddles on the new floor.

Will this have any long term effect or is it nothing to worry about? See picture attached

Thanks

Attachments

• C257729B-060B-4EB5-B50C-16537275FC77.jpeg
    C257729B-060B-4EB5-B50C-16537275FC77.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 325
Sponsored Links
more importnt is wheres the roof felt an battens - you dont need tiles to fix the felt an battens.

is that chipboard the sub-floor or an underlayment on top of a sub-floor?
is it on joists or a solid floor?

itts common in the buildin trade to get ply sheetin soaked, even OSB but chipboard gettin soaked like that ?? talk to the builder.

Well the roof has been built but nothing else, it’s been like this for about 2 weeks (see picture)

This is the finished first floor (ready for carpet / floor tiles) nailed and glued onto joists

It doesn’t seem right to let it get like this and I mentioned it last time and he said it would dry out ok, now it’s flooded again I’m not too impressed.

This is now a big job as stud walls are up and the shower tray is down!

What should I do in this situation?

Thanks

Attachments

• AC5069AA-D05E-4469-91E7-DA2416267F36.jpeg
    AC5069AA-D05E-4469-91E7-DA2416267F36.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 292
fattony, good evening.

Suggest you really need to have a word [or 2] with your "builder"

If you can go in prepared, that is go on to the Chipboard manufacturers web site and see what they say about MR Chipboard

It will probably say something like for use where there is intermittent slight exposure to "moisture" that does not equate to ponding to several MM for several hours? or? call the makers "Helpline" you will find then very risk averse, once you tell them what has gone on

Once dry have a really good look at the boards, especially around the nail heads if there is any rusting of the nail heads or? ant indication that the chip board has swollen up and is above the nail heads then the chip board has and is severely compromised.

Ken

Sponsored Links
Thanks I’ll have a look on the manufacturers site, I’m pretty confident the joints are swelling up at the moment but it’s difficult to tell as I can’t get to it easily

I’ll have to have a word with him ASAP

Thanks

Can’t see any tie beams on the roof, assume it’s not finished yet?

Floor looks fuuucked

Last edited:
Well it’s dry now and I can see the floor has swelled up, builder is coming out to have a look but I’ll be insisting it replaced.

Regarding wall ties for the roof, I’m not sure where they should be, building control have inspected and said it’s ok, there are 4 x ties from the gable wall onto the roof truss?

fattony, good evening again.

there are 4 x ties from the gable wall onto the roof truss?

Yes I can see 4 "BAT" type gable ties 2 each side at the apex + 2 at a about one third the way up the rafter length. You need to copy [or save image as] and then you can zoom in on the image.

I must admit I would have preferred to see at least 3 and possibly 4 such ties [personal preference] based on wind speeds up here.

One thing I cannot see if are any "Hold Down Straps" fitted to the wall plate nearest the front of the posted image?

As for the Chipboard?? [Squelch Squelch] suggest you try a small straight edge over the joints between the boards [before your builder arrives] and see if there is any distortion and rocking up and down of the straight edge, any rocking movement of the straight edge will clearly indicate a defect.

Ken

Hi Ken

Yes I inspected the joints on the chipboard and you can feel the joints have swelled up, it’s also still damp in a couple of places.

Weather in Kent is rain tomorrow.....

there are special typex of chipboard flooring for use where it has to be exposed to the weather during construction.
what you have is not that.

What I have is a buggered floor, it’s rained all day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back