sorting a bad flooring install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

Haven't been on here in a while as have been out of the country for a while.

I am trying to sort a flooring problem for a friend.

Basically a builder has built an extension for a friend and laid a floating floor for him.
It is terrible it bounces in places and creaks a bit too.
the floor is an engineered click lock floor this has been laid over a floating chipboard floor, over 25mm of celotex I think over abare floor slab, with no screed.
The original slab has plenty of dips in it hence the bouncing floor.
The other builder came back to try and fix it and all he did was lift the engineered floor and dripp some holes in the chipboard and squirt a load of expanding foam under and fix it down with battens to prevent it pushing the floor up, obviously it is hardley any better now.

The thing that concerns me is that even with the slab self leveled, how succesful is it going to be laying a floating floor on top of a floating floor.

Should I fix the chipboard through the insulation to the slab or bond a screed to the slab.

Just to add to the problem I today phoned building control sto find out how much insulation had been laid in the slab to find that they have no record of any inspections at all on the job.

Some recommendations from those of you flooring experts.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back