Chicken pox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 3 yr old has woken up with a rake of spots and a trip to the docs has confirmed that she's got chicken pox. I'm pretty sure that both I and mrs gcol have had chicken pox so "I'm alright Jack". But, does anyone know if, through my contact with my daughter, I could pass it on to someone that hasn't had it?

Sponsored Links
I believe not. I had to make similar enquiries when my wifes, sisters flatmate ( phew ) contracted chicken pox and we had to decide whether she (the sister) could then have any contact with our newly born daughter - she had previously had the pox. A couple of calls to NHS direct later and we were assured that it was fine and it had to be direct contact with the sufferer.

Note - although you may want to check if you are actually touching the pox then going out without washing hands then you may pose a risk - I don't know in this case as wifes sis and flatmate wouldn't have been at all tactile :D

You should be ok, the virus will be within your daughter and she is the one who will pass it on to others.

Its not really that big a deal nowadays, you will probably be asked by a lot of other parents to come round so their kids can get it out of the way... :D

My daughter had it at 11 months old, she has eczema too and was absolutely covered in hundreds of spots from head to toe, she only has about 5 scars in total and these are now going after 6 months.

Usually, no, but it depends, you can get Chicken Pox twice, unfortunately as an adult this will usually be in the form of Shingles which is very painful, also means you are contagious. Normally though if you've had it, your immune system will deal with it and render you non contagious, T cell macrophages, we love 'em.

Sponsored Links
I got shingles about 5 years ago. I could cope with the pain, but the itching drove me mad :cry:

Back