Childrens play house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Just wanted to 'show and tell' our play house that I made.

Smallest pic is of the base going down. 4x2 treated frame resting on concrete blocks with DMP under 4x2's. Decking. 2x2 for framing. Car boot sale for acrylic windows. Feather edge boarding. Cuprinol 'shades' chosen by my better half. Strerling board roof with felt.
It now has gutters and fairy lights . We have 2 girls 8 and 6 and they play in it all the time.
Of all the DIY projects I have done, as a stand alone its been one of the biggest. It went very well as it was the first time i let the materials guide me- as in I used the sizes planks, sheets and rolls come in guide the sizes. Only took me 36 years to realise that if you keep to 1.2, 2.4, 3.6m etc, you'll waste very little.

I am bad at drawing but did not run over on anything really. I had to double up a couple of 2"x1" as I ran out of 2"x2"s, but that was it.
I think it might have too many triangles in it... most sheds get by with none, but at least if it came to it we could get a gang under it and carry it out of the garden onto a flat-bed. It seems really solid...
The roof overhangs the decking by enough to keep the rain off the lower front wall and door fixings. Glad I ran the decking side to side; when front one's perish I can easily remove and replace, rather than the grooves taking the water indoors if I ran them front to back. Sounds stupidly obvious but have made some blunders...,this is the product of my years collections of howler mistakes.

It must have cost me at least £450. but like I say the kids love it. And I fit in there- can sleep if I have too!

Edit: The biggest coop was when I finished the feather edge and wanted some vertical profile to cover the ends from the weather. I spent ages trying to find something reasonably priced. Wickes etc wanted the earth for some strips. I drove to work and back wondering what I could use... in the end the penny dropped when I saw a square downpipe on the corner of a bungalow wall.. I marked and cut a single 6' length of square downpipe into 4 equal right angle profiles. Sanded and painted with the wood paint (acrylic anyway) and it really finishes off the job.

Cheers, Tom View media item 64938 View media item 64939 View media item 64940 View media item 64941

Sponsored Links
Hey magic,

Have alerted mods to the spam...

But dang, nice looking project. No such thing as too many triangles, they give you strength. Just make sure you keep up timber treatment to keep it looking good.

Fubar.

Thats a great job. If you dont mind me saying so, well done.

The kids will remember it all their lives, their mates too, & be telling their kids what they used to get up to in their play house - (midnight feasts?)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for sharing! I can safely say that if I were to build a playhouse, we would probably end up with a cardboard box with holes for windows :eek:

@Magic, Do you do DIY/Building in your profession? The end result couldn't have looked better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back