childs step up for toilet and basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to make a step up, about 125mm high to allow 3-4 year old children to access toilet and hand basin.

I was just going to make a frame out of planed 100x50 mm screwed together with stainless steel screws and then put a piece of mdf on top bullnosed like a step on stairs, and furniture feet on the bottom to stop slipping.

Is MDF ok, it will get wet one way or another, or should I use ply. If I use ply will it round over ok with the router or will it delaminate?

Is the 4x2 on the frame idea ok , or should i construct out of ply

Its for a kindergarten - it's got to survive being wet occasionally, last and be safe.
Cheers Will

Sponsored Links
Why not use some t&g floorboard - you can cut the tongue off and then route it. I would also cover the step with some non slip vinyl.

Why bother, they are available for a couple of quid from most baby stores, are shaped to fit round the loo etc & more hygenic in that they clean off much better.

Sponsored Links
be extravagant & get one of these

416-3971064IEUC556571M.jpg

or one of these or have you got an Ikea near you for one of these ? (at £2.49 its silly not to).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back