Chimney advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently fitting a heating system at an empty house and I'm concerned about the inset lfe installation regarding the flue and terminal.
I can't seem to find any ref in Gas safety or Viper book concurning this issue.The issue is the chimney concrete flue is 200mm and the terminal looks like a 125mm gc1. I've done spillage and smoke test and results were v good.Not sure if I should issue a NTCS or AR notice to the new owner.

Sponsored Links
In your Viper book try looking at page E-31, left hand column, and the chart on E-38.

You need to check the fire's MI for approved terminal.

giblets said:
In your Viper book try looking at page E-31, left hand column, and the chart on E-38.

You need to check the fire's MI for approved terminal.

The MI for the fire say that a 125mm flue is acceptable but is it acceptable to go from a 200mm concrete chimney flue to a 125mm terminal?

If the instruction say minimum that can be used is 125mm then there is no trouble if it`s an approved terminal

Sponsored Links
From the Building Regs Part J:

"The risk of blockage of flues of more than 170mm dia should be assessed in the light of local conditions. In areas where nests of squirrels or jackdaws are likely, the fitting of a protective cage designed for solid fuel use and having a mesh size of no larger than 25mm (and no smaller than 6mm) may be an acceptable provision if the total free area of it's outlet openings is at least twice the cross-sectional area of the flue" (my highlighting)

From that I would read that a 5" GC1 terminal is not acceptable under Building Regs.

Might be worth checking with your local Building Control Dept but I would be inclined to go along the NTCS route.

Suggest you read the corgi book edition 4. There are several refrences to fitting a terminal on chimneys . Also the dimension you give are for a non propierty flue terminal, the GC1 is a recomended one so these diamensions dont apply .

Also if its a poured concrete chimney liner fitted into a masonary chimney after 1987 it needs a certificate or lining

namsag said:
Suggest you read the corgi book edition 4. There are several refrences to fitting a terminal on chimneys . Also the dimension you give are for a non propierty flue terminal, the GC1 is a recomended one so these diamensions dont apply .

Also if its a poured concrete chimney liner fitted into a masonary chimney after 1987 it needs a certificate or lining

Thanks for everyones advice, read the edition 4 book and I read it as the 125mm GC1 terminal is OK or am I not understanding the text properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back