Chimney blocking up - vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've removed an old fireplace surround that was already boarded up by the council and read pretty much everywhere that an air vent is required.

There doesn't seem to be any problem with condensation or damp and the chimney isn't on an outside wall (if that's even relevant).

I'm about to put plaster board across it and skim but am I right in thinking I should still install a vent even though the council sealed it (with silicone, so it was air tight or near enough). Having seen some of the handy work around the flat (like not bolting the toilet to the floor, forgetting to attach the u-bend to the bath...) I don't exactly trust that the council contractors did the job properly by blocking it up completely so thought I'd double check.

*I don't think the chimney is blocked completely because I've temporarily covered it with plastic sheeting and there's a slight suction effect going on.

*it's a downstairs flat with the upstairs fireplace directly above. That is still in place but completely blocked up as mine was originally.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A previously blocked off fire opening in the chimney breast in your flat has been opened up by you?
For what purpose?
The flue must be swept.
And the terminal on the roof stack must be checked for soundness.
All redundant chimney flues need to be through vented at the bottom and at the top - no matter if they are on inside or outside walls..

The fireplace in the chimney breast upstairs has a separate flue to downstairs.
The same remedial precautions apply.

Ok thanks.
It's been opened because the mantlepiece and hearth is being removed. It was only blocked up by a piece of ply wood and silicone.

I know that from your first post but what is the intention ? Are you intending to block up with plaster board and a vent or propose doing something else?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, plasterboard and vent.
Not sure why it wasn't vented in the first place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back