Chimney breast and Fireplace advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am wondering what to do with my chimney breast and fireplace in the house I am currently renovating.

It currently looks like this:

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

And I think I would like it to look like this:

Oak_Mantle_face_nat_1wm.jpg

Are there any guides online that you can point me in the direction of to help me achieve this?

The immediate problems I see is that the original fireplace opening kind of steps down to a really small space - I would like to keep the full width of the opening going all the way to the back - is this possible?

Should I remove all the mis matched "new" bricks and mortar out to see what original opening we're working with? would I need to use acros and strong boys while doing this and then would I need to put in a concrete lintel, or is the original arch strong enough?

The upstairs fireplace has been bricked up. I am going to cap the chimney stack, and then vent the "ceiling" of the new boarded out fireplace

Advise will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Charlie

Sponsored Links
No problem taking out the brickwork inside the original opening - no support needed

No problem taking out the brickwork inside the original opening - no support needed

Thanks - I think this is where I will start so I can get a better picture of what I'm up against

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back