Chimney breast: Historic gas fire has left unsupportive jambs on one side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
another 'is this fireplace ok question'.

Some context:
After some fantastic advice on my other posts about the arch lintel etc. I have taken an old gas fire place out and exposed the old arch. The gas pipe (see pics) has been capped and all seemed well. I live in a terraced property and this is my back wall that joins to my neighbours.

They originally knocked out bricks in the jambs to install the gas fire (probably 30+ years ago judging by design etc). It looks like they have removed quite a lot of bricks and although it has been like this for some time I definitely think it needs some extra support.

I would love any advice on whether people would just make good the fireplace/plasterboard etc and forget about it, as it has been like that for so long.

Or, if adding additional support what are the options? cutting back the gas pipe even further back and laying some bricks in the gap? are there undermining style jacks that I could just leave in there and then make good as above?

if anyone needs any more info pictures then let me know:)

All the best
A
image2.jpeg
image0-1.jpeg
image1-1.jpeg

Sponsored Links
OP,
What is your final purpose with the fireplace - decorative or installing an appliance?

The old flow & return should be traced upstairs as far as possible and all pipework removed. Assuming the cylinder has gone then check the loft for any redundant storage tanks.

If you are convinced you will have no further use for gas at the fireplace then get GasSafe to take the gas pipe back to where it branches off from a mains gas pipe or the gas meter itself - you dont want redundant pipework running around your house.
Any elec cables must be tested & traced by a sparky.

Fill in the large opening in the chimney breast cheek - brick it up.
Dub out any dents or hollows so that you will have a more or less flat plane for plastering on any brickwork surfaces.

Lift the last two floor boards in the recess, & check the joists for damp/rot - there are signs of previous damp work.

Typically, old flues need sweeping.

The fireplace will be decorative.
Plastered arch shape etc

The gas pipes/water pipes are used and go upstairs to the boiler/return.

I will In fill the whole with bricks.
Floor boards have been lifted and no rot is present.
Many thanks for your reply.
A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back