Chimney breast looks like it's resting on compromised support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So i was looking at this today as i wanted to notch this myself, but thought it looked like a bad idea as the support i wanted to notch was for a chimney that had been removed on the floor below.

This lead me to notice that it looks like the whole support is resting on one tiny bit of wood... In which case i need it sorted, here are some photos, hopefully they aren't too hard to put together:

The bathroom is question I have circled the area in question:
LCL7tlA.jpg

This is closer up. The chimney stack i resting on a makeshift beam (numbered 1) this is resting on a 'piece of wood'/support (numbered 2) which is then screwed into an additional beam (numbered 3) which is in turn notched into the joist (numbered 4).
hsejERL.jpg

The beam numbered 3 in the previous photo has then itself been notched to allow a waste pipe through.
PPDXtBT.jpg

Leaving what seems to be this tiny 1 inch piece of beam 3 as the sole support for one side of the chimney breast.

aJQNNTi.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm guessing this may be one of those thing thats hard to tell from a few photos. I think I will have to get it inspected by someone to see if the support needs redoing.

I think it's the photos. As far as I can tell, your chimney breast is sat on a piece of timber that's supported by another piece of timber fixed to a joist? If so that's not acceptable or safe. Probably needs a steel beam under it spanning wall to wall.

I think it's the photos. As far as I can tell, your chimney breast is sat on a piece of timber that's supported by another piece of timber fixed to a joist? If so that's not acceptable or safe. Probably needs a steel beam under it spanning wall to wall.

I have just updated the first post to make it clearer.

However, I almost want to laugh at your reply because it is much much worse than that. I'm going to get someone in asap to look at this and cease work on the rest of the bathroom until it's safe.

Sponsored Links
Just to make you choke into your Friday night beer, it's possible that joist 4 has a massive notch in it to support the hearth of the fireplace.
But not to worry, given extent of other work you seem to have going on it's easily and cheaply remedied - I would take the opportunity to get rid of the FF breast as well.

Yea, it does, and on both side of the breast, I wasn't sure if this was too serious - but thinking about it there is a bath meant to be going on top of these very joists which was on the other side of the room on much less abused joists before... so I'll defo mention that to the builders who fix it.

I had thought about getting rid of the breast - would this mean moving any supports up to the loft or completely removing it all and stack? Any idea of the kind of cost differences?

Thing is, if I get rid of it it rather changes what I can fit in the bathroom, and I spent so long deciding on the layout and buying all the fittings... if I can fit a shower in too I'm gonna want to change everything. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back