Chimney Breast Support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've discovered that one of the chimney breasts was removed at ground floor but not supported where it met the ceiling/floor above. Effectively just hanging. There is a steel beam supporting the front edge of the chimney breast in the loft when it was converted (at the top of where the photos were taken). I have taken a few of the bottom bricks out to get a temporary support in (wood). Building control (Bristol) haven't been particularly helpful so far in what steps I need to take to remedy this but I believe I need to pay for the privelidge of applying to repair something that has been that way for years. I want to use gallows but don't want to proceed and then be told I need a beam spanning across the supporting walls. Do I need a structural engineer, party wall agreement etc. Neighbouring chimney is complete.
IMG_20180902_100348-1040x780.jpg
IMG_20180902_100325-1040x780.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's a small breast and looks tied in nicely. On the basis that it's been there for years and not lying in a heap, and there is a beam in the loft, then the timber support is likely adequate.

Just take it out - with what you've exposed already there can't be much more mess and it's no use for anything. BC will have no interest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back