Chimney breast removal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved in to a house that has a chimney breast that is about 6 inch deep!

I believe the flue is a pre cast one that's rectangle in shape it goes from our living room up through our bedroom where the width of the breast reduces by about half then halfway up in to the loft where it comes to a round flue pipe then it used to go to a ridge vent but this has been changed to a stainless one that is above the ridge.

We will never use the fireplace and I have been thinking about having it removed so we can have a better lay out in the room.

The flue looks as though it runs through the cavity, Would it be possible to remove the chimney breast and if so any problems that could be encountered on the way.

I will be getting a builder in to do all the work but I am just trying to decide whether it is worth it or not.

Thanks
Stu

Sponsored Links
Can you post a pic?

If the chimney is built into the cavity, it's difficult to see how it could be removed without major structural work on the inner skin of the wall that it would also be built into.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back