Chimney cap leaking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a leak which is dripping loudly onto my ceiling. Above the leak is a chimney stack but the chimney breast has been removed. I made a hole in the ceiling and took two photos (attached to this post). So this is looking up through the chimney.

As you can see it looks to be capped with some kind of plastic cap but there is daylight getting in around the edges - I believe I can see blue sky (although it's not clear in the photos!)

My builder has blamed the leak on cracks in the chimney breast in the adjacent property but now I've seen this I think the cap is likely to be the issue.

I just wanted to get a second opinion before I instruct a roofer to replace/fix the cap if anyone would be kind enough to give me some advice.

Many thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Which ceiling are you referring to?

Can you post pics of the chimney breast in the loft, and the chimney stack on the roof?

Dont instruct a roofer to do any specific thing - allow the roofer to point out what is required?

Hello,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have access to the loft space (there is no loft hatch in this section of the roof). I took a knife and cut out a small section of the ceiling where the leak was dripping. The water had caused some minor damage to the ceiling.

Once I cut the hole I looked up through it and I could see the cap as shown in my images with the daylight around it.

The reason I talk about instructing the roofer to fix the cap is because the roofer and the company responsible for managing the building have blamed the leak on the adjoining wall with the next door property. However, given that I can see sky out through the roof I believe this could be the issue!

I know the images aren't particularly clear but I just wondered if they looked like an ill-fitting cap to you that might be letting water in?

Thanks,
Matt

I've no idea about what i'm looking at in your pics.

Without seeing a pic of the c/stack its useless to comment on what might be.

For you to see up to the stack terminal from the bedroom (presumably) ceiling indicates something odd with the c/breast(s) removal.

Sponsored Links
I can see, Ree ;) I hope there is @ least a strong gallows brackt up there . I would say cap the pot and apply a couple of coats of Thompson`s water seal all around the chimney

Hello,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have access to the loft space (there is no loft hatch in this section of the roof). I took a knife and cut out a small section of the ceiling where the leak was dripping. The water had caused some minor damage to the ceiling.

Once I cut the hole I looked up through it and I could see the cap as shown in my images with the daylight around it.

The reason I talk about instructing the roofer to fix the cap is because the roofer and the company responsible for managing the building have blamed the leak on the adjoining wall with the next door property. However, given that I can see sky out through the roof I believe this could be the issue!

I know the images aren't particularly clear but I just wondered if they looked like an ill-fitting cap to you that might be letting water in?

Thanks,
Matt
You will see daylight around it as its a vent not a cap, chimney needs venting to avoid damp.Probably a leak on the stack or damaged flashing and could be on your neighbours side, will need a physical inspection to ascertain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back