Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a leak originating from the chimney when it is really hard, driving rain (only occurred twice in about 7mths so far). Its a semi Victorian house with the shared chimney on the party wall. The breast to the rear two rooms (grd and 1st) has been removed and there's a beam in the loft (obviously). I can hear dripping in two place, one I can see from in the loft, which is at the short end of the stack and slow, I can see where it hits the floor of the loft as there's a void but cannot get around to see it face on due to access. The other leak is slowly coming through the bedroom ceiling, but sounds a lot faster above and I cannot see it from within the loft. It seems to be coming down the back of the beam.

I have four chimney pots on top, 2 of which do not appear to have caps (can they be sealed from within). My novice opinion is that the driving rain makes its way in the chimney, hits the beam directly below and drips then onto the board below, with a small amount running down the beam and off the end.

The flashing on the roof is cement, but given that the brick face in the attic is dry and that the drip is right against the party wall in the bedroom, I assume it is not this. What are people's views?

I have someone coming to replace the caps and look whilst up there, but I'm wondering if it being due to the caps is a long shot?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tmon, good evening.

Suggest that if possible get the person who is coming along to look @ the roof and chimney to take a LOAD of images??

Then post some on this site and see what replies you get.

Ken.

For now, because you are guessing, why not calloff installing cowls in the pots. ask if they will go up and do as mentioned above and take pics of the top of the stack and all four sides and flashing. pics of the loft beam and loft chimney brest remains would also help.
are you saying the front chimney breasts or fireplaces are also leaking?

Sponsored Links
For now, because you are guessing, why not calloff installing cowls in the pots. ask if they will go up and do as mentioned above and take pics of the top of the stack and all four sides and flashing. pics of the loft beam and loft chimney brest remains would also help.
are you saying the front chimney breasts or fireplaces are also leaking?

As is fairly typical, the chimney splits into two within the house and are entirely sperate. So a brest to the front reception and bedroom, and a brest to the rear rear reception and bedroom. The brest to the rear is removed and to the front remains. The front is blocked off in the bedroom and the flue roughly boarded in the fireplace in the reception, I have not noticed any leaks. The pots are in a row of 4 from front to back and it appears that pots 2 and 3 dont have a cap on them. The stack looks recently repointed, i'm guessing the neighbor did this as he has a new roof and uses the fire. I'm pretty sure he would have done the crown too if it needed to be done as he's also done his entire house.

Thanks for your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back