Chimney capping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a victorian terrace that was 'renovated' 2 years before we bought it. There is quite a bit of hygroscopic crud coming through the plaster and ruining the paintwork on the 2 disused chimney breasts. Planning to cap chimneys and add vents (at least to the upstairs rooms as downstairs chimneys have been cut out and don't think I'll be able to add vents to them).

My question is, what is the best way to cap the chimneys? Currently they've got a couple of corner tiles stuck on top of them which I guess should be stopping rain coming straight down but allowing airflow. Is this OK, or do I need to do it properly? And what is the proper way to do it if this is likely to be part of the problem?

Sponsored Links
sounds like u need chimney pots with hood and spiggot placed in the top .hood and spigs r about 45 pound each chimneys bout same

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back