Chimney Coping Stone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a leaking chimney. I think I have fixed it by cutting in a groove in the underside of the coping stone so water can't work it's way across to the brickwork as easily. The coping stone generally has seen better days and I suspect for a long term solution I should replace it and the mortar underneath it.

Googling around the internet I don't seem to be able to find a one piece solution, the chimney is 3 brick x 3 brick am I looking for the wrong thing when I search chimney coping stones? What price should I expect to pay for a pre-cast joby?

Cheers

Simon

Sponsored Links
Is the coping stone a capping stone ie. no pots are present? Is it a one piece about 700mm x 700mm or larger?
As usual, a photo would help?

Thanks for the reply Vinn.

chimney1.jpg

The Chimney does have a pot. Having said that though I have bricked it up inside the house and put a pepper pot on for ventilation purposes. Having gone out with a tape measure I realised it is 3.5 bricks x 3 bricks Roughly 875 x 750mm.

Cheers

Simon

Sponsored Links
Its common to use a flagstone to create some kind of stack capping, and yours looks to be in reasonable condition. Getting hold of one to your measurements might prove difficult.
It does look too flat, it should be slightly sloped to shed water.
Plus the flaunching might be inadequate around the pot?
If you were to prise it up and re-set it to falls with fresh flaunching you would have a small risk of it snapping - but you could make a judgement before attempting to lift it.

As with any stack leak, carefully examine the back gutter. lift the edges and look for damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back