Chimney extension - safe to remove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The 1st floor bathroom in my ~1900 terraced house has a chimney in the corner on an external wall. It doesn't extend down into the kitchen so I assume this has been removed at some point in the past.

Looking from above, it appears to have a ~40cm hollow extension on the side. Does anyone know what this is for? Is it purely decorative or did/does it serve a purpose?

Would I be able to remove this without any changing any structural supports/involving a BCO? The bricks for this extra part butt up against the back external wall but are interleaved with the front face of the chimney, so I could remove it and split the corner bricks but I don't want to bring the whole thing down!

View media item 33231 View media item 33232 View media item 33236

Sponsored Links
if there is nothing underneath it I would take it out anyway start from the top and work down try not to chisel the bricks where they tie into the brickwork incase you damge them cut them with a disc cutter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back