Chimney extractor fans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have a hygena cooker hood extracter (app24120). To be honest, only the light has worked for a couple of years, and never bothered me until now.

Had an engineer out to fix it assuming it was the PCB, and apparently not - its the motor which is goosed. He recommended replacing rather than fixing (it was under a homeserve £85 home job, not insurance - he said they wouldn't pay for it and I'm in the process of a partial refund).

Anyway - been looking for a cheap replacement, and came across Baumatic. Read the pdf instruction book on the website and it says that even in extraction mode, it'll only extract smells, not steam. Steam is my primary reason for wanting a new one to be honest. Are all general domestic chimney extractor fans only designed to remove smells/smoke?
If so I'll just live with it as I have done.

Any advice much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
A recirculation hood it will only “help” with smells, the steam will condense in the filter but a decent external extraction hood will extract steam, mine certainly does! One of the biggest problems with domestic cooker hoods is they are primarily designed to “look pretty” & although they (should) meet the minimum extract rate to comply with BR’s, they are pretty useless if you do any serious cooking. Go for a high extract, twin fan hood unit or separate "through wall" extractor if your serious about removing steam & fug from the kitchen; but a decent one will cost a lot more than £85. ;)

Cheers Richard

My current hood is ducted to the outside rather than recirculating, but it's dead as a dodo bar the light switch.

I'm also a bit restricted on size, as its right between some cupboards. 60cm is my limit.

Can I ask another question. The Baumatic one I've looked at (http://www.baumatic.co.uk/products/catalogue/cookerhoods/F60.2SS) says its height goes from 750 to 1050mm.

The overall height of my current one is 570mm. Presumably the height is the chimney - can this be cut down further to fit my current space?

What’s restricting your height? The idea is that you fit the hood at the minimum height from the hob & then extend the telescopic chimney up to the ceiling; more for effect really. An internal duct should be connected between the fan unit & the back of the external wall grill using jubilee clips. Mine actually goes up into the floor space above & is connected to an under floor duct that extracts through an adjacent side wall.

I suppose you could trim it back but stainless steel can be tricky to cut so it looks good; if you do need to trim it, don’t attempt to use a saw, use an angle grinder fitted with a cutting disc.

Sponsored Links
A fairly low ceiling is restricting my height.

My current hood is 65cm above the hob (the minimum for this model as per the installation manual). Then from the base of the HOOD to the ceiling is just 57cm.

The actual visible chimney is a smidge under 30cm. I presume the ducting s located in part of that 30cm and then goes between the ceiling and the roof (single storey kitchen at back of house) to the outside wall.

The Baumatic one I've looked at has an overall height of 70-108cm (ignore my previous post that said 75-105). Of this, the HOOD is 30, and thus I assume the chimney is a minimum of 45, which I'd need to cut to about 27cm. Is this plausible?

The bottom of the fan motor on my hood is located above the hood unit (above the 300mm dimension on yours) within the lower portion of the rectangular duct. The outlet is on the top of the fan, approximately 200 mm above this & within the rectangular duct.

If the Baumatic is similar in design, cutting the duct back that far may leave you very close to to top of the fan unit & if your grill outlet is below ceiling height, there may not be enough space to fit the necessary ducting to the top of the fan unit, bend through 90 degrees & terminate on the wall grill outlet. If your extract vent is above the ceiling you may just get away with it or by using a 90 degree plastic duct moulding; you may already have something similar fitted! I suggest you do a bit more checking to see exactly what you have & how much space you’ve got to play with & either get a look at one with a tape measure or try & get hold of more detailed information from Baumatic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back