Chimney Flue Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had several roof conpanies round to inspect these huge damp patches that have appeared on the attic walls, around the chinmey stacks. Two companies said i needed some flashing and pointing done but the 3rd guy told me he was sure it is condensation off the chimney flue and there is nothing he could do to fix it.

The flues are no longer in use, the fire places have been plastered over. If this is the case does anyone have any experience of how I could fix this problem as the damp patches are pretty substantial.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you’re sure it's condensation & not water penetration from above, try fitting a vent to the bottom of the flue where the downstairs fireplace used to be & see if it cures the problem. A disused flue should always be vented & not completely sealed; a small positive draught will prevent damp air entering from outside & stop any condensation forming. If the top of the pot is still open, fit a vented cap to prevent rain entering.

It could be water penetration via a failed flashing, or condensation in the flue - if the blocked-up openings aren't vented and the pot has been closed off - or it could be a bit of both. None of the advice you've had is potentially incorrect.

If the chimney is completely blocked, as Richard says, vent it; I would also recommend putting a cowled pot on the top as well, to let the air move around, but prevent water penetration. Oh, just realised Richard said that as well d'uh!

Any damp patches from penetration from the roof are completely different to stains from condensation from the flue. Also condensation from the flue (or penetration from the flue) will be confined to or emanating from the line of the flue.

And condensation is more likely to form lower down in the flue than in the loft, and bleed through the plaster in the rooms below.

Another (more obvious) sign is that if its penetration, then the damp is worse after rain. Have you checked following heavy rain?

If you could post an image then it may help to narrow it down

Sponsored Links
You've got a rain penetration problem, and need to determine where its getting in.

Most likely related to the flashings, but also check the chimney capping or flaunching.

If the chimney is not capped, then consider getting it done and then ventilate the flue from bottom to top

cheers mate, will get it sorted.

Flue is actually on neighbours side so wont be able to vent it but will ge the flasdhing fixed and some re-pointing.

I have a feeling you could drill a hole in your wall.

I'm new here, how do I view Alprods pictures mentioned above?

And how do I tell the difference between water penetration and condensate in my stack?

Thanks
Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back