chimney in room with flat felted roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I currently have a balanced flue gas fire on an external wall in a single storey extension in my house. The extension has a flat felted roof. I would like to install a more traditional gas fire in this room but appreciate that this will require a chimney of sorts. Is it possible to construct an internal brick chimney to vent through the external wall as as opposed to through the roof. I was wondering if it would be possible to use a chimney liner with 90 degree bend to go through the wall and then to encase this with the brick chimney. I appriciate that I could potentially use a fire with poer flue but don't desperatly want to go down this route.

Any ideas or advice would be most helpful. Thanks

Sponsored Links
it is possible to add a masonry chimney onto an outside wall.

you will need to dig a foundation and build a full spec solid 9" walled chimney.

if you currently have a cavity wall, then this will have to remain so, and the chimney masonry will be an addition to this wall thickness.

the internal flue can exit the room, into the masonry chimney at the height required, via a concrete lintelled opening.

clay flue liners are an ideal way to finish the flue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back