Chimney pot / Crown leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had some trouble with water dripping onto the ceiling though what remains of the chimney. I've traced this back to a crack that has opened up around part of the chimney pot. The pot is intact but there's ~5mm crack where the concrete crown has receeded from the pot for around 10cm around the pot. Please could someone offer some hints on the accepted way to repair this?

Sponsored Links
I've had some trouble with water dripping onto the ceiling though what remains of the chimney. I've traced this back to a crack that has opened up around part of the chimney pot. The pot is intact but there's ~5mm crack where the concrete crown has receeded from the pot for around 10cm around the pot. Please could someone offer some hints on the accepted way to repair this?
How does water get from cracked chimney haunching onto your ceiling? I'm struggling to envisage that.

The previous owner had the chimney breast removed in the downstairs and upstairs rooms, so all that remains is the section in the loft. Once the water goes into the crack it runs under the chinmey pot and down the inside of the chimney, falling out at the bottom, which is the top of the plasterboard ceiling.

The previous owner had the chimney breast removed in the downstairs and upstairs rooms, so all that remains is the section in the loft. Once the water goes into the crack it runs under the chinmey pot and down the inside of the chimney, falling out at the bottom, which is the top of the plasterboard ceiling.
So this is really a poorly capped of redundant chimney issue - and potentially an unsafe structure...? How is the remainder of the chimney supported at ceiling level?

Sponsored Links
As the water is ingressing at the bottom of the chimney pot, I'd be inclined to think it's not really a capping issue and more of a 90 years exposure to the elements issue but I'm not a chimney engineer. Likewise I'm no structural engineer, although I do think it's a bit of a stretch to jump from "water is ingressing into a 90 year old chimney" to "your house is structurally unsound". Though to answer your question, I'm not sure off the top of my head how the remainder of the chimney is supported. I think it would involve pulling up the floor in the loft to find out. It was probably done late 80s / early 90s. What was the accepted way to do it back then?

As the water is ingressing at the bottom of the chimney pot, I'd be inclined to think it's not really a capping issue and more of a 90 years exposure to the elements issue
There should be no pot. The redundant chimney should be capped with an overhanging slab or some such.

If the finishing of the chimney is anything to go by, it would concern me how the remainder of the chimney has been left. Also, is this a semi detached with your redundant chimney part of a pair?

It is indeed a semi. There are four chimneys in total. I'm led to believe that the two next door are notionally still in use.

OP,
why not post pics showing:
1. the damaged ceiling.
2. external pics of the stack.
3. stand in the loft & send a selfie camera on a stick up the remaining flue to video the pot and flaunching.
4. a pic showing the remains of the chimney breast in the loft.

Never cap a stack with a slab: its potentially dangerous & can create further problems - FWIW: the practice of capping redundant flues was abandoned by pro skilled people years ago.
Modern practice for many years has been to use a redundant flue ventilating cowl or terminal.

Never cap a stack with a slab: its potentially dangerous & can create further problems - FWIW: the practice of capping redundant flues was abandoned by pro skilled people years ago.
Modern practice for many years has been to use a redundant flue ventilating cowl or terminal.
Utter nonsense - yet again. Many chimneys are constructed with an overhanging concrete pre-cast slab. The trick is introducing a drip.

If the OP has poor uppermost masonry then it needs protecting from the elements. There is no point venting the flue because it doesn't exist and is only present within the loft space.

PLEASE STOP TROLLING THIS SITE.

It is indeed a semi. There are four chimneys in total. I'm led to believe that the two next door are notionally still in use.
Right.

For your own peace of mind, check how it is supported. If they are back-back constructed chimneys then there could be serious issues if your neighbour decides to remove theirs.

I'm so sorry that I've upset you simply by posting what is the best practice way of doing things.
Chimney stacks are not constructed with slabs - never.
Slabs are a cheap and dangerous practice for troll level chancers like yourself to attempt dodgy repairs.
Why the capital letters - do you have troll trouble expressing yourself?

Please dont leave this site - you provide so much to laugh at - for instance you claim that you are treating us to: "Utter nonsense - yet again" You said it
troll boy, you said it but we all know anyway. You even use the superlative "Utter" to add to your shooting yourself in the foot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back