Chimney problems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Anyone out there a chimney expert?

I can smell smoke in my loft when my fire is lit. I think i can see the offending brick that has started to to deteriorate and has left a hole. Could this be just re-bricked up and used or is there a bigger problem than this?

Please talk about needing the stack pump lined as the interior lining will have disintegrated, but then others have said that the old house like mine (1900ish) never had linings in the first place so re-bricking and repointing the chimney should be fine.

Anyone know whos right whos wrong or have any extra info that could lay down for me ?

Many Many Thanks
Gav

Sponsored Links
If the mortar around one brick has deteriorated to such an extent, the rest surely can't be too far away...and its likely that the flue is simply of brick construction rather than lined with curved flue bricks.
Can't you have a stainless flue liner fitted?
John :)

If the mortar around one brick has deteriorated to such an extent, the rest surely can't be too far away...and its likely that the flue is simply of brick construction rather than lined with curved flue bricks.
Can't you have a stainless flue liner fitted?

Can i have a stainless flue liner for an open fire? I didn't think i could. I had a guy round that seemed to think they were for stoves or gas fires.

I'm somewhat out of my depth here, but many solid fuel stoves have a stainless liner, so its certainly fine for that.
The problem would be sealing the bottom of the liner as it terminates within the fireplace, to avoid smoke going up between the liner and the existing chimney.

Sponsored Links
Just re-point or render the stack in the loft space; replacing any spalled bricks. Check above roof also as this is probably in poor condition.

I would get your chimney tested if it's leaking. You can also get it lined with perlite concrete which is longer lasting than steel.

This sounds like a good option to me and far cheaper than the thermocrete lining which ive been told will probably cost us about 2 grand :(

I think there has been work done to the chimney stack above the roof line, as this was mentioned when we bought it.

When you say testing teh chimney what do you mean? we had a chimney sweep round who set off a smoke bomb and said it was fine. It was only due to the fact that i said i could smell smoke in the loft that he said not to use it until it was fixed.

There are various tests to make sure it's safe. With the smoke test the top and bottom should be blocked off and the flue checked for any smoke escaping. Some people just let the smoke go up the flue and out and think it's OK as long as it goes up and out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back