Chimney Removal from ground and first floor

I like working from the top down, so when you next need some work done on your roof then get the chimney pot stripped out down to loft level and the roof repaired.

No help to your plan to redecorate the downstairs, perhaps you could remove some of the bulk of the chimney and keep it as a decorative feature.

I had a roofer out and he said it would be difficult to repair the roof because the old felt is not breathable and you cannot get it - so it would be like a bodge job. Adding breathable felt / lining to an old felt.

Sponsored Links
I had a roofer out and he said it would be difficult to repair the roof because the old felt is not breathable and you cannot get it - so it would be like a bodge job. Adding breathable felt / lining to an old felt.
Yeah, they'd probably need to take everything off then fit new felt and relay the tiles. Or just rip it all off as get a new roof.

Sponsored Links
I did a loft conversion on the same style house.
Initially we had builders remove chimney to loft leve, loft stack where supported on 10 mm steel plate and some 10x4 timber maybe.
When i did the loft i removed to roof line. The rest of the stack is supported on a flinch beam. 100 steel plate between 100x50 timber. Sitting on outside wall and tied together with a steel rope/bar.
Obviously let neighbours know party wall act
like this
https://carters-loft.blogspot.com/2012/07/opps-no-update-for-while-slow-progress.html

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back