Chimney Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After many years of nagging, finally getting round to sorting out the kitchen.

There is an unused chimney that ideally I'd like to remove but I'm worried that it's going to be a complicated\expensive\risky job.

IMG_20180923_164336.jpg

The kitchen extends out further than the first floor (original design and not a later addition) and the rear wall of the first floor is in line with the chimney, there is also a significant loft conversion sitting on top of the all this.

Due to a significant lean the chimney pots had to be removed recently and the stack lowered.

IMG_20180923_164546.jpg

I don't think it's going to be something I want to handle myself but was hoping that someone may have an idea of what would be involved and if it's feasible or something that should be left well alone.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sponsored Links
It is shared, but I own both houses, so there's an added incentive to make sure that neither of them fall down.

can you post a photo of the full heightchimney breast an fireplace in the room above?
is the neighborin shared c/breast a mirror image of your c/breast?
do the houses have cellars?

Sponsored Links
Directly above is the bathroom, it just passes through and there has never been a fireplace.

IMG_20181011_205650.jpg

Next door is a mirror image and neither house has a cellar.

thanks for that.
this is a mystery an i need a rethink - is it even a chimney flue?
have any neighbours removed ther external chimney breasts?
is ther another chimney stack on the roof somewhere?
how many pots were originaly on the chimney stack?
did you see it in the roof space when you did the loft conversion?
where are your other chimney breasts an fireplaces located in the house?
is there a WC in the bathroom - if ther is, whers the soil pipe and vent - S&VP?

It will be expensive and complicated - but only in terms of cosmetic restoration. There will be roof, roof-line, internal and external wall masonry, floor, ceiling, wall-plastering, skirting and kitchen elements to consider in terms of making good.

The visible aspects of masonry, roof and roof-line will need skill and care. Access isn't brill either. Start at £5k and keep going up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back