Chimney repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The top of my 2 metre chimney stack has been deteriorating over the last five years. It was already cracked when we moved in and as each winters rain/frost cycle goes by they get steadily wider.

I've got some scaffold coming at the end of the week, so will take 15 courses off and then re-lay the 5 so that it terminates just above ridge height.

My questions is - give the price of the scaffold (£400+), am I a fool not to drop a stainless liner down while I'm up there? The chimney isn't used, but who knows what we (or a new owner) might do in a few years.

Is it even that simple, or does the liner spec depend on type of stove/fire/etc?

Cheers

Gary

Sponsored Links
1. I'm sure that you could hire a tower for much less than £400+

2. your stack is faux(?) stone clad - is the stone staying on the remains of the stack and c/breast?

3. no way drop a liner down the flue - just in case. Dont do it.

4. After building work the flue should be swept and an appropriate venting terminal fitted.

Most towers I've been on are too wobbly for me to be comfortable. I'm sure I was on cheap ones and there are better towers out there, but and I think I'd be seven metres off the ground so I've gone belt-and-braces on it.

Also the chimney is set in slightly so with a tower I expect I'd have to lean/reach over the ~30cm of eaves gap (see picture below).

It's a normal red-brick chimney.

I'll forget the liner and concentrate on getting the brickwork and pointing repaired. At the moment there's no chimney pot - it's just dressed in a three inch thick lump of mortar that's been smoothed in to a nice 'hump' around the top. What would an 'appropriate' terminal be for an unused chimney that's just decorative inside the house. Obviously I just want to keep the rain out and allow it to breathe sufficiently.

Thanks

Gary
full

Until this two story red brick house pic appeared your previous "house" pic was a bungalow with a faux stone clad external chimney breast?
Probably my mistake.

Next time you work at height think if not tower then a cherry picker or scissors lift - both can be quite cheap nowadays.

google "chimney stack air vent terminals" and chimney pots. Use a pot - they look better than a blank cap-off.

The lump of mortar is the flaunching.

Sponsored Links
To be honest that looks pretty sound and looks like it just needs a bit of repointing.
If you are taking it down and not rebuilding to full height then it's pointless dropping a liner in anyway as you would need to raise it back to full height before it could be used again

Ree - the other house was one I'm considering moving to - it was my post about the realities of living in a dormer bungalow - you're not imaging it!

This is the other north-facing side of the chimney - pretty cracked I reckon, but not a great photo. Currently the chimney is about five courses above ridge height.

Time to go find a chimney pot from somewhere then!

full

Ah I see, but still doesn't look too bad from 10 or so courses down, just rebuild the top and re-point. Check out a reclaim yard, you will probably find a pot that matches the others in the street

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back