Chimney sound proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BCO have asked what I intend to do about sound proofing the chimney breast that runs through my flat conversion project - 3 storey house to 3 flats, one per floor. Sound proofing the floors/ceilings is relatively easy although expensive.

Short of knocking it down, the chimney breast is not the house, although I feel that would be easier sometimes!!, any suggestions or experience?

Sponsored Links
What about using a mineral fibre batt / roll type of insulation?

I don't really understand the post. Is the chimney on a party wall or within the floorplans of the flats etc? :confused:

Sorry need to explain a bit more.....it's easy to see what is what when you're living a project!

The chimney runs bottom to top on one external side wall of the house within the floor plan and has 2 flues in it and therefore these run vertically through the flats. The flats are separated by party floors/ceilings not party walls. It's a detached house. One flat per floor.

I'm thinking fill the flue that runs from the bottom flat as it is being bricked up anyway, there is no fireplace in the middle flat, and the top flat flue goes almost directly out through the roof so presumably no sound issue there.

Sponsored Links
Top middle or bottom ? Come back Barrymore all is forgivn.. Seriously, tho`. I would suggest filling both the bottom and middle with " Vermiculite concrete" easily made with vermiculite and cement ;) poured through a hole in the flue in the flat above . Then the pots on the chimney top need removing/sealing. Maybe there is a better way :?:

Acoustic company I have been talking to say "to seal the fireplaces with high density blocks, laid flat and with a density of 1850 kg/m3."

I suppose we can do that and then sound test and if it is an issue then fill the flues but I suspect we may need something higher density than vermiculite concrete. :cry:

Acoustic company I have been talking to say "to seal the fireplaces with high density blocks, laid flat and with a density of 1850 kg/m3."

I suppose we can do that and then sound test and if it is an issue then fill the flues but I suspect we may need something higher density than vermiculite concrete. :cry:

What did you do about this in the end....I suspect I have a fireplace related noise problem (having had most other possible sources fixed) Did you block it at the fireplace or pour it from the top with vermaculite concrete? Or neither?

We got a good price from our builder to remove the whole stack from pots to foundations so that's what we did. It took 2 men 1 week plus a scaffold tower, removing the rubble by hand down to a road approx. 30 feet below the house and several truck loads of rubble to the tip and cost about £2k all in.

Added advantage was more floor space on each of the 3 floors. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back