Chimney stack/breast removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Hope you can help, I've got the builders in to remove the chimney stack and breast that run through 2 bedrooms and 2 downstairs rooms, they've completed the removal and are now in the process of studding the walls where the breasts were in preperation for plaster board, however they have NOT rebuilt the internal wall so there is a single brick wall to the outside all the way up through the rooms, i know they are being studded but my concern is for noise and cold, it's not a load bearing wall as such in that all the joists run the opposite way on both floors.
Would any of you find it a concern for any other reasons?
Appreciate any advice... Thanks

Attachments

• 20190223_104104.jpg
    20190223_104104.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 328
Sponsored Links
Surely the internal wall is the chimney breast that has been removed, leaving a single skin as the retained back of the old chimney flue/stack.

I believe such structural changes need building regs approval, and that would/will have taken into account any impact on the remaining structure.

Do you have any "before" pics?

Blup

Thanks for the reply.
Some extra photos

Attachments

• 20181115_111014.jpg
    20181115_111014.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 365
  • 20181115_111026_HDR.jpg
    20181115_111026_HDR.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 352
  • 20190215_184628.jpg
    20190215_184628.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 390
  • 20190223_103018.jpg
    20190223_103018.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 355
I don't think the stud work materially adds to the structural integrity of the walls, but don't know if the additional brickwork is needed. Those are two pretty hefty chimneys by the look of things.

Maybe a quick word with a structural engineer before its closed up.

Blup

Sponsored Links
How strange. Surely a lot of the volume you gained has been eaten up by that studwork over the entire walls, especially on what looks a long narrow room anyway. Normal way would be to stud or build out the gap flush with walls either side and replaster - unless there's a plan for some insulation?

Yes cdbe, it's having kingspan insulation, also having the tv built into the studwork to finish flush.

The chimneys might also have provided restraint to the walls either side of them especially as the joists run the other way and a dividing wall has been removed, but, as said, really needs an SE to assess on site.

Blup

As others say or imply you need bldg. regs approval for structural alterations and surely it is best to obtain this before carrying out demolition work on site , particularly of a fairly substantial brick chimney breast. I don't know if it was essential on your wall but the chimney breast would provide some buttressing to the wall . I would get in touch with building control straight away if I was you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back