Chimney stack problem, leaking smoke

been off on the pat n mick since wednesday

chest infection/man flu/dreaded lurgie :( :(

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you are on friendly terms with your neighbour and this is probably the best way to leave it.

IMHO - as they must have taken the chimney stack down at the time you mentioned when doing extension, what if you had had an open fire at that time. smoke would have come through then. It's all well and good taking down internal stacks etc, but no one thinks about the remaining structure either above or next door.

Hopefully the remaining chimney stack his side from the loft floor up, is adequately supported on an RSJ. Where supported I would look there on his side to see if there is a breach. It may be where the ends of the supports are punched into your party walll!

These old chimney's were never well built, they should have been 'parged' with render all the way up, but probably never were. I expect the two chimneys always leaked into one another, but it didn't matter when they were both being used, drawing air up and out the top.

They have removed a certain amount of fire protection between your party wall, from the loft floor down. You perhaps only have a half brick wall between your fire flue and his living space.

It's not worth saying it's his problem as they compromised the shared flue wall, so it may be time to bite the bullet and install a twin wall flue. You probably will have to take out the fire again, as you will have to form some sort of gather at the start of the flue above the fire.

Sponsored Links
Reading your very first post again - is smoke coming back down his chimney from the outside when the wind , whatever is blowing the wrong way, exiting in the house where chimney removed loft floor area.

:rolleyes: old post, didn't see that.

I notice smuudge is still posting just recently, can he let us know what his solution to this problem was!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back