Chimney stack reduction- do I need paperwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My neighbour is agreeable and we are planning to lower the party wall chimney stacks to below roof level. What, if any, structural or other specifications do we need to arrange, and should we thus have to get BCO involved?

Are there any other bits of paperwork needed, not only for keeping to the regs but to make sure there’s no issue come sake time?

Apologies if this is a bit fundamental, but it’s not entirely clear from my searches online.

Sponsored Links
I was told my then architect that BC approval was require for ventilation of the flue, but not for the structural aspects.

You don't need building regulation approval if you are just removing the stack - ie the bit above the roof line.

The roof will need to be made good in accordance with building regulations - ie suitable timber rafter infill, bracing, membrane and tiles etc, but you won't need specific permission for this - it is assumed it will be done. The flue will need to be suitably capped too for fire spread and air leakage.

For planning permission it's a bit grey. Demolition of a stack is not specifically stated as being permitted development so should require permission. Further it could be a material alteration of the external appearance, so would need permission.

However some authorities deem it an alteration if its a small stack, so PD.

Lots of people just remove the stack, but if it's a relatively large stack visible from the public road, then either an application for removal or a CLD to confirm its PD would be wise. The house needs to have PD rights in the first place though - ie not listed, not in a special area, not had rights removed.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for replies. The Council advised that this was PD.

I’ll fire off an email to BC to be 100% certain, then get onto getting an agreement in writing from the neighbours.

Many thanks again, especially about the flue capping.
Santa has been allocated a spot at the bottom of the garden, where he can have a dip in the hot tub if he wishes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back