Chimney Stack Removed - Seal or Not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had an unused chimney stack that was causing problems removed down the loft level and the roof tiled over.

The chimney is an inglenook type and houses an electric flame effect stove in the lounge. The chimney is vented and as such now vents into the loft space which is itself vented with soffit vents and roof vents.

The builder suggested that I should seal the chimney in the lounge to prevent;

1. moist air being drawn into the loft from the house

2. In the (unlikely) event of a loft fire then to prevent air being drawn up the chimney from the house.

AFAIK know an open chimney should always be vented but as this is no longer exposed the the elements does this make sense.

Any help please.

Sponsored Links
I did one a few years back and left it open within the loft space. My thinking at the time was to allow air to move through the chimney to avoid the possibility of condensation.

I guess you could argue that moist air will find its way into the loft regardless.

I thing the fire thing is a bit over the top but still quite pertinent.

So, my answer is - i don't have a definitive answer.

Personally I would seal it. It will draw masses of warm air into the loft which is neither good for the loft nor good for your heat loss. An alternative would be to seal it from the loft but include a 100mm duct to a roof tile. You will still have some heat loss - but a great deal less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back