chimney stack repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so roof work nearly done and gone fairly smoothly. However the chimneys are looking a bit sorry for themselves.

On this stack, our side is the left side, with the single pot and the gas flue. This is on the front elevation.

On this stack, our side is the right hand side. Back elevation

Roofer has recommended taking the top rows of bricks off both chimneys and capping them off (on our side). We don't use our chimneys, except the gas. Neighbours don't use any of then.

Anyway. It seems a reasonable solution and the quote to do this wasn't too bad. But....the neighbour doesn't want to do this as they are selling up and don't want to contribute. Even though their side is actually worse than ours.

So, roofer has suggested we just try and do a bit of a return on our side. The suggestion is, on the front to reflaunch, do some repointing, keep the pot (we want to keep it for looks), and cap the pot somehow leaving some ventilation.

On the back he is suggesting we either do the sane as at the front, including replacing that missing brick!! Or we take down the two pots altogether and cap it off and install a cowl or an airbrick.

All the flashing at the bottom of the stacks are being done as part of the reroof anyway.

What's peoples thoughts on this, bearing in mind the neighbours reluctance.

Sponsored Links
You are going about this roof and stack business back to front. After, presumably, installing a new roof you now want to go back on it to do further work that should have been done before re-roofing.

My opinion is to always keep the stack and all terminals - stacks give value and character to a house. Capping stacks always looks weird.

Your best bet is to get the neighbour's permission (even if he wont pay his share) to re-build both stacks. This would involve working on his property.

The notion of doing half a stack is a non-starter. For one, those stacks are too far gone and you could end up by sending a brick down his flue(s) or out into the street while trying to pussy foot around one side only. Essentially, you could de-stabilse his half while working on your half.

Note that there are feathers inside the stack and if the stack looks rough the upper feathers will be almost fragile.

FWIW: if new neighbours have a mortgage survey the stacks will be pulled for a retention and the new neighbour's might be more open to a shared re-build.

FWIW: even tho some of your flues are redundant, they should be swept, taking great care not to sweep into the fragile stacks until you've had a rebuild.

Roof is only half done. He's left the bits by the chimney for me to decide what to do.

To be fair he's pretty much suggested as you said, but I have no choice as next door is a no goer. I also said about the possible mortgage survey picking it up and causing problems. He wasn't bothered. If that happens we will see what the options are at that point.

So. Out options right now are 1) do nothing. 2) try and patch it up best we can. We would happily do the job properly but it isn't an option at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Anyone got any more thoughts? He might be starting these today and I still haven't decided what to do.

I am thinking of just taking the risk and getting him to patch it up and cap our pots. So long as he can do this without causing further damage, it should keep us going for a bit? Until we get new neighbours and we can discuss the more long term options.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back