Chimney stack responsibility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. New here.

Bought a house last summer.

Found some damp we think is being caused by the chimney stack. It's not in good shape.
There's also a crack on the outside wall below the stack. So could be that causing the damp.

I have an end terrace house, which is step up from next door.
The chimney stack itself, sits fully on my roof, but it 100% doesn't and hasn't served my house. All fireplaces for my property are the other side of house and have their own chimney there.
There is nothing mentioned in the deeds about the chimney and who owns it or is responsible for it.
As far as I'm aware, next door have had new heating system in and don't actually use the chimney anymore.

Does anyone know if the chimney is their responsibility or shared or how I would find out?
Also... the wall below the chimney ... would that be classed as the chimney wall and possibly also be their responsibility or?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Here it is. My house is the higher up one. And the yellow line is around where there's cracks in the wall.

And again, definitely doesn't serve our property or ever has done.

Attachments

• 20190310_181926.jpg
    20190310_181926.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 231
Looking at your picture brings 2 things to mind.
1 You say you are an end terrace. Is that lower roof another house that was later added to your end? In which case you are no longer end of terrace. Or is it an extension to your own property?
2 As the stack is 100% on your property I would guess it makes it your responsibility regardless of its original function.

1 You say you are an end terrace. Is that lower roof another house that was later added to your end? In which case you are no longer end of terrace. Or is it an extension to your own property?
2 As the stack is 100% on your property I would guess it makes it your responsibility regardless of its original function.

I am the end terrace house. My house is a step up from the others. I'm the only house to be this step up. There is no house the other side of me.

Thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
Here's a pic

Attachments

• 20190310_185824.jpg
    20190310_185824.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 190
Was your house built after the rest of the terrace, with the chimney being extended upwards to be above your elevated roofline? Is there a chimney breast in your rooms below that chimney?

That's what I would've thought.

Perhaps if the chimney is servicing two properties, then joint responsibility in fixing? If one part of it cannot be fix without the other.

Was your house built after the rest of the terrace, with the chimney being extended upwards to be above your elevated roofline? Is there a chimney breast in your rooms below that chimney?
I don't actually know if it was built after or not. Mine was built 1900. Nothing in deeds about this being added later .

No chimney breasts in my property on that side of house. Completely flat all along. Stairs are on that side too.

No chimney breasts? What is the measurement internally & externally from window to wall?

chim.JPG

I don't actually know if it was built after or not. Mine was built 1900. Nothing in deeds about this being added later .

No chimney breasts in my property on that side of house. Completely flat all along. Stairs are on that side too.
Have you been up in the loft? See if the chimney stack is supported by brackets? I am wondering if previous owners have had the work done.

If no brackets, it could explain the cracks and damage..

No chimney breasts? What is the measurement internally & externally from window to wall?

View attachment 160667
Definitely no chimney breasts in our property.
The breasts must be contained in the wall.
We have chimney breasts/alcoves on the other side of our house, where our chimney is. It's only a 2 bed... all fireplaces on that side of house. The chimney 100% does not and has mot ever served our house. It definitely has served next doors house only. Next door knows this also.

Have you been up in the loft? See if the chimney stack is supported by brackets? I am wondering if previous owners have had the work done.

If no brackets, it could explain the cracks and damage..
The flue is contained within the stone wall.
The chimney that served our property is viable on the other side of the loft.
Next door still have their chimney breasts.

Sponsored Links
Back