Chimney stack support not meeting todays building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone pls advise on what I can do, we are in the process of selling our house and the survey has highlighted that our chimney breast support does not meet todays building regulations, I have spoken to 3 x builders and they have all confirmed the method used (Toothed or corbelled) is far superior than gallow brackets however we have had a structural engineer to inspect and he has informed our buyers that it is inadequate as it does not meet building regs of today. This must have been done 20+ years ago so am at a loss as to what to do, couldanyone pls advise, as am at a total loss. Please help! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Why not just get a gallows frame made up and get it fixed sharpish. It may be nonsesne but probably the quickest way to solve your problem.

Thanks John,

I know this is a silly question but is that allowed? I thought as it has already been mentioned in the surveyors report then inspected by the engineer then I wouldn't be able to do that? :confused:

If the chimney support is causing some concern to your buyer then just offer to fix it to the engineer's spec. That will keep them happy, the engineer can sleep at night for fear of a PI claim for one chimney falling and killing 5 children in their sleep - one was a really promising footballer - and your house sale goes through.

Sponsored Links
...we have had a structural engineer to inspect and he has informed our buyers that it is inadequate as it does not meet building regs of today...
Then he is a prat. When things are constructed, it's not with a view to being in accord with regulations 20 years hence! If it's standing there happily, then there is no reason for it to be redone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back