Chimney Storm Collar Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old property and have just had a repair to one of our chimneys The problem was that the old concrete storm collar had cracked and was in danger of falling down. I was expecting the roofer to replace the collar but instead he just removed the collar and cemented around the stack See photos of before and after When I asked why he did not replace the collar he said that due to the nature of the old stone that to make it water tight a collar was not the correct way to do it I would like to know if this is correct as I concede that replacing like for like would be difficult and do not know what the correct way to deal with this is The trouble is that it does not match the other chimney
After.JPG

Attachments

• Chimney_2.JPG
    Chimney_2.JPG
    387.2 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
I can see how it would more time consuming to replace the block, but its precisely a collar that would weather proof it. What did his quote say?

Blup

Looks more photoshopped than defaced, who has a house in the middle of a corn field.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay in replying I got the roofer back the next day and got him to put a collar on the stack. How anyone could accept that what he did firtst time around was acceptable is beyond me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back