Leak around chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi after the storm the other week we discovered we had a roof leak, it looked like water was getting in around the chimney and running down the chimney into the bedroom.

I got a roofer out and he said the chimney needed repointing and that was to blame.
So he came and re pointed it yesterday.

I had a quick look in the loft this morning and the wood around the chimney looks very wet (it never completely dried out from the storm but it looks to have got worse overnight with the rain we had).

I messaged the roofer and he said the leading looked fine and he has pointed where needed so I am a bit stuck on where to go next.

Can anyone give me there thoughts on likly causes looking at the pictures below

20210130_103433.jpg
20210130_101323.jpg
20210130_101357.jpg
20210130_101433.jpg

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert but the chimney looks like the side needs re pointing.

However from the pictures it looks like a leak and not transfer of dampness through the chimney breast.

I'm no expert but the chimney looks like the side needs re pointing.

However from the pictures it looks like a leak and not transfer of dampness through the chimney breast.

From what I can see from the ground most the pointing seems to have been done on the front face. Although he did tell me he went around the chimney and did where was needed (I don't know whether the different mortar colours makes it look worse or he has just not done the job correctly).

Speaking to him this morning he thinks the water was running behind the leading due to missing mortar, which he said is now fixed.

So I was a bit shocked to see it look worse in the loft this morning as he is telling me all is good.

From what I can see from the ground most the pointing seems to have been done on the front face. Although he did tell me he went around the chimney and did where was needed (I don't know whether the different mortar colours makes it look worse or he has just not done the job correctly).

Speaking to him this morning he thinks the water was running behind the leading due to missing mortar, which he said is now fixed.

So I was a bit shocked to see it look worse in the loft this morning as he is telling me all is good.

Get another roofer.

Guy clearly chancing it.

Sponsored Links
It seems a pretty busy time for roofers at the minute, I have rang 4 local roofers and the soonest one can come is Friday.

We had a small amount of rain last night so I have been back into the loft and it seems to have got worse than before the re pointing was done, don't how that's possible.
You can see damp all over the plaster on the chimney now.

20210201_182253.jpg
20210201_182307.jpg
20210201_182327.jpg

Anyone got any ideas of what it could be?
im a bit paranoid about being fed more bull and getting ripped off again.

Thanks

The way the chimney is damp, to me it seems like the flashing isn't doing its job. But I'm far from an expert.

Hardest thing in the world is finding a decent tradesman, and one. That actually turn up

Hardest thing in the world is finding a decent tradesman, and one. That actually turn up[/QUOTE]

Yeah its certainly looking to be a challenge, I'm just hoping I find someone before it gets to bad and I need the wood replacing (if it doesn't already).

Not the time of year to be pointing chimneys. You have been had!

I did ask the roofer if it was not to cold and wet before he did the pointing as well.
Is there any way that by doing it now could have caused bigger problems?
As the leak seems to be worse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back