Chipboard floor wet!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 10 years ago I floated chipboard T&G over 50mm polystyrene in my garage. I believe that the chipboard was waterproofed flooring grade.

Unbeknown to me the felt under the corner of the roof tiling has failed letting water run down the inside of the garage and under the chipboard floor. This only came to light when I noticed a black mould patch appearing on the plasterboard ceiling in the corner.

Roof leak has now been fixed but is there anyway to dry out the flooring that doesn't entail stripping back the whole floor and replacing?

I've taken the vinyl tiles off the top and have got a large fan blowing across it and it has started to recede but is there anything else I can do?

The chipboard appears fairly strong at the moment but I don't want it to go soft and start disintegrating as the garage is home to two cars.

Is there any rot solutions that could be applied which would combine with the water and at the same time curing to make a strong structure?

Richard

Sponsored Links
once chipboard fails its had it
if its expanded its shot
it will not recover as it dries
so if you can put a screwdriver through it then replace the damaged area

At the moment I can't get a screwdriver through it. It would mark the surface but no more. Have had a fan on it all day and its dried considerably.

Richard

Sponsored Links
I would think the best part of 5 years!!

That's when I spotted the mould on the ceiling but didn't think that it would also be in the floor.

Richard

be surprized if its not terminally damaged in one or more areas

remember the foam will be giving some support so it may not collapse under lighter weights but may sag under heavy point loading

Going to keep the air circulating at every opportunity to see how it dries out.

Ronseal do a wood hardener for rotten wood. I was thinking that when its dried out drench it with several thin coats hoping this would absorb well into the chipboard to give it some strength.

But as I say it is fairly solid at the moment, I'm pretty sure it was the green flooring chipboard I used.

I guess it's just a waiting game and may need to be stripped out and replaced eventually.

Richard

don't waist your money
you cannot give it any strength back its a stabilizing solution basically holding the crumbly stuff together it gives no strength at all

do you have any pictures

Cars are both in at the moment. One wheel is quite close to the wet spot and I can't see any signs of it break down. Next time there out I'll take some pics.

Richard

i wouldn't worry to much
as long as you don't put to much point loading like wheels or an engine lift
you will get some warning that its shot when the surface starts to break off or it sags

normally it will sag and a hole will appear but as yours is on foam this probably wont happen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back