Chipboard flooring - How to fix a concave board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Removed an old laminate floor (downstairs) from my daughters new property (built 1984).
I am intending to replace with new laminate but have found a couple of problems with the chipboard floor and would appreciate some advice and views on quickest way to fix the problems which are:

1. One board in particular has become concave down most of its length. Do not understand how/why this has happened. I did remove a length of telephone extension cable which had been forced down the gap between boards - could this have caused the bowing over time?

Not sure of the construction underneath chipboard. The property is timber framed and I had assumed that the floor would be a solid concrete base. The flooring in general does not seem to have been too well laid - there are some quite large spaces between boards (not enough to reveal what's underneath). Also cannot so far find any evidence of fixing (no nail or screw heads!).

2. In the hall there is a definite dip between the end of two boards.

Apart from these issues the floor feels very solid - no bounce etc.

So looking for ways to fix (bodge!!) - without trying to relay the whole floor! Original thought was to use self levelling compound which would probably be ok on the floor area that has dipped but would not work on the convex length of board.

So any advice or suggestions on how to tackle this appreciated

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back