Chipboard or Softwood floorboarding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of having an extension built and today a load of materials were delivered. Amongst these materials are some chipboard flooring panels. Our previous house had these panels and it was a nightmare if ever it was necessary to take any up. Under the flooring will be a mass of piping and electrics re the heating system.Am I correct in my instinct to tell the builder that to use such materials is unacceptable and to request him to use traditional softwood floorboards?

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo lanky and welcome :D

what did you specify for the flooring!!!!!!

have a look at the spec sheet or drawing[or the fag packet the estimate is written on ;) ]to see whats specified!!!!!

if you didnt specify i think youll find yourself with an extra bill for the extra man hours and more expensive materials if you choose normal boards

Thanks Big-all.

No the material to be used for the floors was not mentioned, but then again, the materials for other items were not mentioned either. The quote said that the materials used would match those used in the rest of the house.

My main reason for asking the original question was to check out my opinion that chipboard was an inferior product compared with floorboards.

unfortunatly its an acceptible form off flooring providing its installed properly

you could alway say you have only have normal planking within the habitable bit off the house so there for its not the same !!!!
but as it wasnt specified could be awkward

OTHER OPINIONS WOULD BE HANDY HERE PEOPLE ;)

Sponsored Links
Lanky said:
My main reason for asking the original question was to check out my opinion that chipboard was an inferior product compared with floorboards.
Most floorboards materials these day are T&G but you have anything you want in life if you agreed to pay for it!

Lanky said:

P4 or P5 T&G chipboard is not inferior to softwood flooring. They both do the job properly. They have to to meet building regulations. Both have to be cut to access services underneath. With chipboard you can get systems that allow a neat hole to be cut with ease.

We are in the process of having an extension built and today a load of materials were delivered. Amongst these materials are some chipboard flooring panels. Our previous house had these panels and it was a nightmare if ever it was necessary to take any up. Under the flooring will be a mass of piping and electrics re the heating system.Am I correct in my instinct to tell the builder that to use such materials is unacceptable and to request him to use traditional softwood floorboards?

lm a joiner manufacturer in fife unfortunately come across a lot of people like you
want a first class job done for nothing
you get what you pay for
l price jobs with 1rst joinery quality timber and hand picked
had lots of people come back to me and say they wish they had got me to do it after they got the cheap price from someone else and it isnt up to it
your poor builder to suffer comments like that would undoubtedly make him mad would me
but would probally be nice cause you havent paid him yet
chipboard flooring is to be glued on the feathers and screwed nowadays
the old floors were nailed acording to nhbc but they used to squeak on the nails after a while which could be sorted

again we herring bone dwang all our floors we put in its more time consuming but a better job when finished comes down to again how much of a cheap skate you are by accepting the cheapest quote you get what you pay for yours a heard it all before joiner

heeelllooo and welcome to the man from "THE KINGDOM" :D :D :D

thought i was going mad not remembering a thread i posted on 3 days ago :eek: :eek: :eek:

untill i realised its 4 years and 3 days ago :D :D ;)

in general threads more than a few weeks old tend to be left for dead due to the quick turnover off threads ;)

Not really his fault when below the thread the list of "related posts" even show posts as far back as 2003 ;)
He must have seen this thread after replying to a more recent one.

Not really his fault when below the thread the list of "related posts" even show posts as far back as 2003 ;)
He must have seen this thread after replying to a more recent one.

i personaly dont have a problem reserecting old threads as often it save typing it all again lol
you then only have to fine tune the answer with a few words to fit there situation ;)

And Google doesn't mind old post either ;) (Which is one of the reasons old posts keep popping up)

sorry folks but folk like that just get ma goat
you usually find its his third house an there tryin to screw you for every penny getting three times the wages your on one o ma pet hates lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back