Chisel fitting for drill, removing render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for looking at this post.

I would like to attach a chisel to a hammer action drill. Is there a fitting for either of these hammer drills :

Black and Decker 700W KR700CKS
Black and Decker 710W KR703K

If not, is a 'makita kango' the appropriate tool to hire, and if so which one?

The chisel fitting is for removing three thick layers of paint off the render of three elevations of a two storey building. The thickness is about 1 mm but won't budge with a scraper and is going to be a lot of over hard work trying with a hand held chisel, also some to roof level.

Thank you for reading.

Sponsored Links
I have never heard of anyone stripping paint off render I cant imagine why they would want to go to all the hassle..!!

Sponsored Links
Dear Alastairread, Roy C and Roughcaster,

Thank you for your replies.

The building is a late 1800s house. There appear to be about three layers of paint about 1mm - 2mm thick. Underneath there is a rough stone surface

Where the paint is flaking, it is as if it is like blow plaster. It falls away in big chunks. But it seems to thin to be any sort of render. It appears that it is layers of paint over the years.

However where the paint is not blown, it is still fixed firmly to the "rough stone surface underneath".

So I am searching for a way to remove the remaining paint easily. A chisel fitting to a regular duty power drill with hammer action would probably be adequate. Hence the question.

Perhaps there is a chemical paint remover?

Thank you again for your replies.

If it is on stone work then I can see why you want to take it off. I would enquire about having it sand blasted. They might be able to lower the pressure they use to avoid too much damage to the back ground, Have a look in your local yellow pages,, ;)

Dear roy c,

Thank you for your reply.

Definitely sandplasting is a possibility. Thank you for the suggestion.

Am hoping to find someway I can do it. Some way of removing about 1 mm of three redecorations of paint.

Where it is blown it falls away fine.

Dear gregers,

Some has been jet washed off already and some layers of paint come off.

The underneath though is harder, it appears to thin to be a render skin, but is stuck just as firmly where its not blown.

Thanks for your reply.

Dear pigeon85,

The paint is sound in so far as it is fixed to the surface.

However it is not a good finish because it has been painted over so many times and anyway requires redecoration. So rather than sand it down and fill in the blown parts, better to try to get it off, as about 20% is blown anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back