Question re render removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My house was built in 1886 and is semi detached. The house next door is naked brickwork and mine is covered in a thick render with large stones (bigger than pebble dash) and painted white.

I would like to remove the render and will probably attempt it myself with a hammer and chisel.

Now my questions are this. If the house next door (built at the same time etc.) has good brick work still, can I assume that mine will be too under the render? If it isn't, why would that be?

How long will it take me (1 week? I have no idea) and will I need to hire some scaffolding?

Bearing in mind I am useless at DIY, what would the cost be if I decided to hire someone to do this for me?

Sponsored Links
he walls are often 'scutched' with a special hammer to make the pebbledash stick. If it's been on there for decades then it's stuck on pretty well. I've never seen it removed successfully. It usually causes too much damage.

best bet is to go over it and re-face as bricks. though the surface will be slightly proud of next door. taking it off sounds chancy to me. You might have to remove paint first though. see you tube and you will find kkhhoona. :LOL:

I think it has been on there for at least 20 years. I had a go at it over the weekend, but with a blunt chisel. Just did a tiny patch to see how deep it was (roughly 6-8mm) Will have another go with a new,sharp chisel and a proper hammer.

Sponsored Links
Do a fast job by hiring a 'single tool' road compressor and buy a hand held air chisel from Northern Tools or machine mart with a selection of chisel heads. Whole lot for about £80 and spend one weekend blasting the lot off. No smashed thumbs, no aching joints and much much faster than by hand.
No special training just a dust mask and goggles, and maybe a hat to keep it out of ur hair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back