Choc Blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When extending a ring main from an existing socket why do you have to use insolated crimps? What is wrong with using 30A choc blocks rapped in insolation tape?

Sponsored Links
You dont if the choc block is inside the back box. But please don't rap them in phase tape

I suggest an experiment - connect two conductors using a choc block, and another pair using a crimp connnector.

Then spend some time trying to pull each pair out of the connector, and see which one gives way more easily. :eek:

99.9% of all electrical connections are screw type in one form or another so whats wrong with screw choc block?

Sponsored Links
They are cheap, nasty connectors that have a habit of splitting when you try to 'nip them up'
It is rare to meet a wiring accesory that splits or the thread stips on while making a good connection.

Personally I go for crimps every time when possible. (of course crimped with a proper ratchet crimping tool)

I accept that there are instances where crimps are not the best choice of connection, such as when you have three or four wires to join together, but for a straight through joint "you can't beat a crimp"

soldering done well is probablly better than crimping actually. much more compact too.

I agree. Soldering is the most permanent form of joining two wires, but crimps are soooo much easier.

RF Lighting said:
It is rare to meet a wiring accesory that splits or the thread stips on while making a good connection.

You've never used Volex then :LOL: , I just couldn't beleive the trouble I had putting together an extension cable with a volex trailing outlet... the screws would hardly tighten up properly :eek:

MK all the way for me

Having said that we have had a few duff bits off them recently.

RF Lighting said:
I accept that there are instances where crimps are not the best choice of connection, such as when you have three or four wires to join together, but for a straight through joint "you can't beat a crimp"

I would agree.

kippaxking said:
When extending a ring main from an existing socket why do you have to use insolated crimps? What is wrong with using 30A choc blocks rapped in insolation tape?

You don't. As this is DIY the OP may not have crimps and a ratchet tool.

Just try out a Tenby socket....Humour me on this and come back with your opinion. Ive used them all...MK, Crabtree, Legrand, Volex (spits), Wandsworth,BG and more but Tenby gets my vote every time. Even the terminal screws cover the whole cable entry point in case some herbert puts in a cable without bending it over. Even the embossed L, N and E markings are upside down so that when you're connecting up they are upright as you see them. Its the little things like that which makes me feel confident when I fit sockets. And of course they are double pole switched.
I fit con blocks if I feel that they will need to be accessed one day and the length of cable available isnt that great. But whenever possible Id prefer a crimp. One thing you wont see is me soldering connections behind a socket....and I dont know anyone who does. There isnt much space behind a socket in its 25mm box!

Foolish question from a non-electrician: why do you need to bend over the conductor before clamping it in a terminal?

Because if theres a gap down the sides of the screw its possible for the wire to go up the side instead of being clamped down on.

Ah - of course - it's obvious as soon as you say it. Is there a special tool to do the bending?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back