Chocolate box wiring

In the same way that the following would be advantageous:

Squaring off the cut ends of the sheaths.
Dressing the conductors to avoid sharp bends.
Positioning the cables so that they enter the box radially.
Having the mounting holes horizontally or vertically aligned.

Sponsored Links
Possibly a little bit - but are they not identified by their bareness?
In common sense terms, yes, but I don't think that 'bareness' is in BS7671's list of compliant ways of conductor identification.
I think not in the situation pictured.
As I sort-of implied, that would also be my view.
Apart from any rules or regulations - in that junction box, would sleeving be advantageous, disadvantageous or immaterial?
In my opinion, essentially immaterial.

In some situations, I think it can be disadvantageous - since, with fairly loosely fitting sleeving, it is far from impossible (I've certainly done it!) for the sleeving to slip into terminal and for one to tighten the terminal screw onto the sleeving, rather than the conductor. The more one strives to get every micron of the exposed CPC covered with sleeving, the greater that risk becomes.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That irritates me a lot about sleeving. I personally only use G/Y heat-shrink now for that exact issue.
Indeed. I have to say that, using ordinary sleeving, I have 'done it' far more than once. With ordinary sleeving, if one uses a size which is tight enough on the conductor for it not to slip, then it is all but impossible to get it on. I've often thought that, as you say, heat shrink would be the answer, but I have to say that I have virtually never bothered.

In practice, I tend to leave the sleeving a bit short, so that there is some exposed copper showing ("tut tut"!), so that I can be sure that the sleeving has not slipped into the terminal.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back