Choice of 2 drills?

gbu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen 2 deals at B&Q both for 18v combi drills both for under £100

One is a Dewalt:-
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10668127&fh_view=detail

One is a Bosch:-
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=11227751&fh_view=detail

Im a plumber by trade but use a drill only a small percentage of the time for hanging rads, clips to walls etc as well as general DIY stuff.
So im not after the most powerful/expensive drill around as i may only use it every few weeks or so.

Both have 2 batteries so one will always be charged, i know the Bosch has the Li-On batts compared to the Ni-cad of the Dewalt so im guessing i'll get longer use outa the Bosch, but i think the Dewalt has more power/torque.

I know this threads trend to throw up a "..why not buy this make instead......"etc but im really only interested in these 2 for choice as they meet my budget(dont wanna go over £100)

So any help would be much appreciated if anyone has either or can pick out an obvious feature that the other doesn't have and so makes it a must have over the over.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Bosch every time - with 2 li-on batteries seems an excellent deal.
John :)

Thanks for the fast reply.
Is that based on your own preference of drills or the differences between these 2?

i suspect the dewalt is 1.3ah batteries but dont know nicads can only be charged when 95-97% flat otherwise they develop a memory
li-ion can be top up charged with around 60% charged in first 15 to 20 mins off charging

in other words you can charge both batteries the night before and know you have 2 full batteries where as one nicad could be half charged and the other 20% there is no way off knowing
the bosh is part off a system off about 6 tools where as the dewalt is part off around 20 tools to fit the batteries
you just buy the further tools without batteries

Sponsored Links
I only go for Li-on stuff now, due to NiCad failure.....the tool choice is endless. I've a Hitachi that has had serious grief for 2 years now.
The multi-tool, same battery system may appeal though.
John :)

Ok thanks for the replies :)

what i would really like is those batteries of the Bosch in the Dewalt drill lol

Just say the batts were the same for both drills which would be the better drill then?

green bosch diy market dewalt proffesional /trade

if you want somthing in the middle you can go for ryobi one plus
30 tools for the home and garden to fit the same batteries
http://ryobi-oneplus.co.uk/index/flash/p/12
you can buy a starter kit with nicads for around a ton and upgrade to li-ions as all batteries fit all tools [with a few exceptions]

If you go on-site with the green drill people will laugh.

Most of my tools are bosch blue, but I was working with a lad today and he had that same dewalt from B&Q we were putting up steel roofing sheets with 6mm screw- bolts and he was keeping up with me, so on that basis I would get the dewalt.

Most of my tools are bosch blue, but I was working with a lad today and he had that same dewalt from B&Q we were putting up steel roofing sheets with 6mm screw- bolts and he was keeping up with me, so on that basis I would get the dewalt.

most off my tools are ryobi the greater value are my dewalt by far as i have 7 or 8 dewalt 18v plus a pull saw and flip saw
but in general the ryobi is is the most flexable in light usage :D

most off my tools are ryobi the greater value are my dewalt by far as i have 7 or 8 dewalt 18v plus a pull saw and flip saw
but in general the ryobi is is the most flexable in light usage :D

Yep, they're very flexible after you tape them together, seeing as they fall apart if you drop them six inches.

The problem with Ryobi is the batteries go flat when you don't use them for a week.

The problem with Ryobi is the batteries go flat when you don't use them for a week.

that applies to all nicads although a week is when a battery is very old near the end off its life :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back