Choice of C/H and H/W pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I choose the size/type of the C/H pump? Is there a method to it? As the H/W cylinder is right next to the boiler, will I need, or benefit, from its own pump, or simply use a 3-way valve?

Sponsored Links
Everything will be pumped / mains, no tanks in the loft.

I know next to nothing about flow rates etc but I think a lot depends on how many rads, how big a house, how long the runs, how many floors and where the pump will be fitted but for an average 2 story, 3/4 bed, 12 rad house, just a normal one would be my best guess! You certainly shouldn’t need a separate pump for the hot water cylinder.

I have a 3 bed, ten rad house with a hot water tank and my Grunfoss UPS2 15/50/60 pump is normally used on speed 1. Occasionally speed 2 but speed 3 has never been used.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Using 2 pumps is uneccesarily complicated and can be counter productive with one taking precedence over the other. Using a Y or S plan with a pump matched to the boiler output makes best use of the boiler output and offers a better level of control.

Thanks. I will go for a simple Y plan with 1 pump.

Have you thought about using priority hot water? It depends on whether your boiler can do it. It's becoming more popular and some say it's the way forward.

It lets you have a different temperature for when the boiler is feeding the radiators, and when it is feeding the cylinder.

I am going to ask a boiler fitter to come and tell me how he wants it done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back