Choice Of Forum Software For Website - Any Recommendations ?

Please explain why the (bad) choice of a Windows platform affects the choice of forum software.
Windows can run php but there are slight differences in things like path names which can cause some applications not to work properly and also php is often not standard on windows hosting so you often have to go for a asp based forum. You have to pay for the software and also a share of the operating system costs and database license.

With Linux you can't run asp but php is standard and a lot more stuff is free such as phpbb, the operating system and database server.

Sponsored Links
Hi Jack

Sounds like you will need a VPS account.

I use vpsville.ca with a uk based VPS account. They have lifetime 25% off coupon on the web.

I also have a reseller acc on a shared host in the states with total choice hosting. But I think you will be better off with the root access afforded by VPS account.

Hopefully one day you might need a dedicated but then your costs will rocket.

The vpsville acc suits my needs at the moment. Support and reliability are ok but not the best but it is managed, an important consideration unless you are a linux wiz with the time to maintain the everything. By contrast support at total choice hosting is good but the lack of root access prevented me from being able to install Magento

Re forum traffic- probably worth posting in each of the respective support forums. I for one have no idea what kind of ram you'd need on a vps for those kinds of levels.

Anecdotally, most of the busy forums that i visit seem to be Vbulletin, not sure why though, it might just be a legacy thing.

Just had a look at the following link and many of the sites have "most users online" at any given point intime listed in the thousands.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=18884.0

My offer still stands though if you just want some space to familiarise yourself with the different types of forum, not sure if the paid for versions provide trials or not

Hi Jack

My offer still stands though if you just want some space to familiarise yourself with the different types of forum, not sure if the paid for versions provide trials or not

opps,

If possible, would you be able to allocate some space for the installation of phpBB and SMF bulletin boards? These are the free versions that I am considering and by trying out actual full installations will allow me to take a view. I had your email address but deleted a load of historic emails the other day. If you still have mine would you please be able to send me an email so I have your email again. I think it might be appropriate to take it further by mail rather than the forum.

Out of interest is "forums" the correct plural or is it "fora", any English scholars about? There is a similar plural question over microsoft excels use of "Formulas", in my old schooldays the correct plural was "formulae", Americans I guess.....they certainly know how to screw up the Queens English.

Rgds
Jack

Please explain why the (bad) choice of a Windows platform affects the choice of forum software.
Windows can run php but there are slight differences in things like path names which can cause some applications not to work properly and also php is often not standard on windows hosting so you often have to go for a asp based forum. You have to pay for the software and also a share of the operating system costs and database license.

With Linux you can't run asp but php is standard and a lot more stuff is free such as phpbb, the operating system and database server.

None of which is a problem for running the likes of phpBB. Also, you can run ASP.NET on a Linux system. ASP, no, but nobody uses it any more.

And I'd love to know why you even bothered mentioning Windows, seeing as it's not a suitable platform for running any sort of forum.

Sponsored Links
Just giving every option. Linux is better for forum hosting but if someone already has a Windows hosting solution they will want to know if there is a way to use it instead of getting another Linux machine

Hi Jack

opps,

If possible, would you be able to allocate some space for the installation of phpBB and SMF bulletin boards? These are the free versions that I am considering and by trying out actual full installations will allow me to take a view. I had your email address but deleted a load of historic emails the other day. If you still have mine would you please be able to send me an email so I have your email again. I think it might be appropriate to take it further by mail rather than the forum.

Out of interest is "forums" the correct plural or is it "fora", any English scholars about? There is a similar plural question over microsoft excels use of "Formulas", in my old schooldays the correct plural was "formulae", Americans I guess.....they certainly know how to screw up the Queens English.

Rgds
Jack

Will do

Shall pm you tomorrow

BTW Microsoft duck the mice or mouse question by refering to them as pointing devices...

Back