Choice of Lintel(s) for opening between two rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to remove a 1.3m gap between a room in my house and an existing extension. The wall in question is the old outside cavity wall. I know that the "inner"part of the wall supports the upstairs floor joists. I have no idea (yet) how the extension joists are supported.

There is no wall above (it was removed when the extension was built)

My tame builder suggests using two cheap concrete lintels, one on each leaf. The opening is floor to ceiling, so the joists will sit directly on the lintel.

I think I need to check the extension joist situation before making any holes.

Does this sound like the beginnings of a plan? I was wondering if a Catnic style lintel that does both leafs at once might work better, for example?

Sponsored Links
In fairness, i find it difficult to advise you when i can't get a clear mental picture of whats existing and whats proposed. i only speak for myself,of course. Why not post a few pics of both floor/wall areas in question and from outside, and a diagram with joist directions.

The notion of a piggy-back, double knock-thro sends alarm bells ringing - perhaps it'sonly me.

I am increasingly aware that I need to find out some stuff about the extension construction but...

I want to take out a section of the old external cavity wall. I know the joists are hung on the inner leaf for the upper floors of the original building but I have no idea how the extension was constructed. I need to lift the upstairs floor to move some electrical stuff about anyway - so I should see then.

The wall above all this was removed when the extension was added (there's a lintel upstairs holding the roof up). I have some of the plans and that implies a single, concrete lintel across both leaves.

[/img]

With respect i still cant advise you on the strength of the posted diagram. Perhaps others can, but i'd prefer that you posted pics as asked previously.

Sponsored Links
For a little over a £100 quid you can have a structural engineer come out and design a suitable lintel. Surely that's worth it?.....

I'm not sure how a picture of a gyproc wall (choice of two) is going to help.

Yeh - I think that's the point. I'd rather have something in writing from a structural engineer as it doesn't seem entirely straightforward.

A 1.3m opening is not a lot, and a couple of concrete lintels will do

Well purpleblob, you post a question on a DIY forum, because you'r ignorant of the technicalities , but now you misinterpret a response, gain sudden insight and decide on a course of action that you could have taken in the first place without presuming on people's goodwill.
If you have gyprock on the exterior of your house i shouldn't delay calling the S/E.

Huh? Why the snotty response?

If you thought me rude then I apologize. It was not my intention, I'm just not sure what you wanted to see. The outside wall is not involved. It *used* to be the outside wall but is now the wall between the kitchen and a room in the extension.

Oh... and thanks Woody :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back